Sunday, June 26, 2011

Tour of The Carson Valley

Today I had the opportunity to ride in "The Tour of the Carson Valley" bike ride. I wanted to do this ride to see how I would hold up on hill climbing. I will be doing my first century ride in October, which does have some hill climbing. Around Davis there are not very many hills (unless you count the freeway overpasses!), so I needed to do a ride to prepare. The route took us on a total of about a 1500 foot climb (not all of it straight a straight climb. There were some rolling hills, but there was also a substantial sustained climb. I actually surprised myself on how well I did on the climb as was pleased with my results. I rode 42.5 miles in a ride time of 2 hours, 57 minutes and a total time of 3 hours, 38 minutes. I know I still have work to do, but now I do feel more confident in my abilities to complete my century ride in October!

View of Lake Tahoe from the summit.


Lake Tahoe!


Dipping my toes in the lake!


The Wild Rose Inn Bed and Breakfast where I stayed Saturday night.


My room.


A view from the first rest stop (it was also the third rest stop as we were on our way the finish).


The food that was provided at all three rest stops.


The view from the half-way-point rest stop.


I just completed the ride!


The picture on Google Earth taken using my GPS watch!

3 comments:

Veronica Haley said...

Good job Vera!

Kevin and Ann said...

Great job. Sound fun. Hope to able to join you in October

The Picanco Family said...

Great job Vera. You are becoming quite the cyclist. I have been wanting to get a bike and start riding, but you make me want to do it even more.